Category Archives: Daily Buzz
Being a FITNESS Instructor, ENDURANCE athlete and a PERSONAL Trainer is a busy but rewarding career. I love my job and love pushing myself to reach my own personal fitness goals. How does one stay on track when being physically active is part of your J.O.B.? Here’s how I am making it work for me, a few tips and tricks that I have found to be tried and true. Believe me though, with every new training program, fitness program and goal I set for myself I am constantly trying new products, new techniques and new plans to help myself stay HEALTHY, INJURY FREE and PUSHING closer to achieving my Fitness Goals.
Work your SCHEDULE to your advantage…when you are working at a gym or fitness center, you typically get free perks like a FREE MEMBERSHIP. Each week that you are scheduling your clients be sure to write in your own time for your workouts and training.
DAILY “Personal” WORKOUTS…dont skip them! Just as you hold your own clients and students accountable for showing up, you must walk the walk, when you talk the talk. All of those programs you write out for your clients, keep them in a notebook and do them yourself. Another resource I have found to help me is having access to live streaming workouts such as Beachbody On Demand. Calendars are loaded up so I can reference them easily and if I run out of time, the workouts have a timer and I can go back in later in day to complete from where I left off. If you havent checked out BOD, click HERE and Click on SIGN ME up for FREE CLUB and you’ll get a 30-day trial, its just $2.99 a week to have access to this incredible library of workouts at your fingertips.
Nutrition and Not Skipping Meals…having a busy lifestyle means you are burning a lot of calories daily, make sure you are keeping your energy up by eating 5-6 meals a day. Meal planning is essential for fueling your body and keeping your energy up. Your “weekend” prep days may actually fall on a Monday or Tuesday so use those days to cut up veggies, cook your chicken and get organized. Having a few staples on hand with you in your gym back will save you time and money. My top go-to snacks are ALMONDS, KIND or LARA Bars, JAR of SeaSalt Peanuts, Single Serve packets of NUT BUTTER, green APPLES (bananas get smooshed easily and ripen faster).
Find a Fitness Community…surrounding yourself with people who share your same passions is so important. Your neighbor or that mom who gives your kid a ride to/from school that you talk to everyday, unless they are joining you in training for that upcoming Ultra or Ironman then even if they support you they cannot really understand your challenges. Having a community that you can post your daily wins and get feedback on what you next step should be or what is working to increase speed for that upcoming race can be so helpful. I like to join as many running groups, organizations and clubs that I can. Some are beyond me where people are pushing to do 100 mile races or a full ironman. Im not there yet, but having that peek into what goes into their training gives me an idea of what it would take for me to commit to doing an event of that magnitude. I love to dream big. At the same time, its a big confidence builder when in a C25k group I can inspire and help others get from the couch to finishing their first 5k race strong.
Self Care: Choose Activities that renew YOU and nurture your body and soul… start with what you enjoy doing when you are resting, what do you tell your clients to do if they are experiencing muscle soreness–ice pack, epsom salt bath, foam rolling, active rest activities. Take your own advice. Some other ways to renew: spend time with friends, get a mani/pedi, go out for a slow run, be a student in another persons class, take a training. Whatever revives you to help you feel more CONFIDENT.
FINAL THOUGHTS… To help others you must know how to HELP yourself first and be the best version of you possible. Write it down. Create a vision board. List certifications or workshops you want to attend and books you want to read. Let your passion and love of your craft drive you to become the EXPERT in whatever you do.
Tis the Season and just look at the SALES for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday from Team Beachbody–they have launched LIVE today, 11/21/16.
htp://www.beachbodycoach.com/jennvoss then click shop and on the left you will see holiday specials. Or you can click here to get straight to it!
If you have any questions on any of these programs you can email me email@example.com with HOLIDAY SALE in the subject line. I have most of these programs and can help you choose which one will help you best in reaching YOUR health and fitness goals.
Happy Shopping–if you are interested in any items, order right away because many will sell out before end of day.
Super excited that I have the opportunity to work with Team Beachbody in running a fitness challenge that will actually PAY people to workout and get fit. You got it—my next accountability group if you are consistent with your check ins, you will receive a CHECK! Want to learn more on how this works, watch this short video!
So to recap, here’s the simple steps to participate:
1. You need a team Beachbody Account. click here –> http://Http://www.beachbodycoach.com/jennvoss and activate a FREE membership with me as your coach. If you are working with a coach, reach out to them!
2. You need Shakeology and to know what your workout will be. All programs are on sale this month in a challenge pack for $140. If you own a program you wish to repeat then all you need to do is order Shakeology ON HOME DIRECT (you save $ on shipping, you can cancel the auto ship later).
3. Click on Contact My Coach and send me an email saying I am in for the Health Bet.
4. Upon receipt of the email I send, you will download the app and click to join our challenge.
We are starting September 5th—looking forward to helping you reach your health and fitness goals!
Wahoo! I love inspiring people who are passionate about fitness to go to the next level. In fact, I was super excited to learn that Zumba recently launched a new mentoring program that I plan to participate in: ZIN MENTORING PROGRAM. If you have the personality, the passion and the desire to teach fitness then I say go for it! As the fitness industry continues to evolve, opportunities for instructors have never been greater. With so much variety in the field, no two interview experiences are the same. Keep in mind that most companies require a verbal interview and a live audition.
The scary image (and I say that lovingly because I have always been a die-hard American Idol fan) that comes to mind when we hear the word AUDITION these days is the one &only Simon Cowell. Am I right or am I RIGHT?!
The following tips can help you prepare for your interview and make a great first impression and GET HIRED:
- SMILE. Yes, from the first moment you talk to someone to meeting them in person I say be happy! Leave what happened this morning behind you or even what happened at the last audition if you are doing multiple auditions. Be happy, grateful and personal. Make a lasting FIRST IMPRESSION, strong handshake and be people friendly.
- BE PREPARED. Do you have a certification? Do you have your CPR/AED card? Know ahead what credentials they require and bring them to the audition with you. If you do not have them, some gyms will give you up to 6 months to get what you need to teach at their facility. What skills should you present in the audition? Will there be live participants in the audition? What kind of sound system does the club have? What equipment will be available? Stop by the facility in advance if possible, to be sure you know where you’re going and to scope out the audition space. Research the organization’s website and social media to get a feel for the culture and mission.
- DRESS FOR SUCCESS. ou want your appearance to convey that you’re neat and professional. Wear modest clothing that keeps you appropriately covered during all movement. Make sure your hair is away from your face and you are able to focus on your teaching skills rather than your outfit–make eye contact when possible when you are auditioning. Each organization has its own unique culture, but professional and conservative attire is always a safe bet.
- BRING IT. When it is time to Audition, take the floor and OWN IT!! Show your Passion for teaching in every step that you take! KNOW your material and practice ahead of time. Show your Confidence, Musicality, Cueing Skills, Energy & Enthusiasm, Knowledge on Form/Technique and Modifications to name a few. You will have less than 5 minutes to put it all together…do your BEST, have FUN and be YOU x 10!! Recognize that there are areas that you may need to work on, be OPEN to feedback and let the GX Director know you are willing to LEARN & TRAIN with them to get better…that goes a long way!
- INTERVIEW THEM. Prepare questions in advance to show the interviewer you’re serious about the job, and to determine if the organization is a good fit for you. Is there financial assistance or incentives for continuing education? Do you need to carry professional liability insurance? Preparation is the difference between a mediocre and extraordinary interview. Each interview is an opportunity to explore the field and learn about your own wants and needs so you can find that perfect fit.
Overall, just enjoy your experience and be flexible with whatever options are offered to you. Not everyone lands that dream time slot or perfect day of the week that they want to teach. Maybe you even just start out as a sub, but go in with the attitude of “how can I help” and show some flexibility and willingness to learn you will be building relationships within the fitness community and your reputation as a trusted instructor who is willing to do what it takes to improve and do their best.
Good luck! Do not hesitate to reach out to me and let me know how your auditions go and if there is any way I can help!