Tag Archives: backontrack
First of all, Mondays are terrific for starting FRESH. Here’s the trick though, its easy to get stuck in a yo-yo dieting nightmare if you are restarting EVERY Monday. Nonetheless, Summertime is great time to be with friends and family, concerts and celebrations but come Monday after the weekend Im not sure about you but my midsection feels a little fluffier than usual. I woke up feeling this way today after spending 2 days with my parents in michigan. I mean who can resist a home made breakfast prepared by your mom? So here’s a couple of tips for you to get back on track today and a special invitation to join my next fitness challenge.
Three Quick Fixes to Reducing bloat:
1. Drink more water and AVOID carbonated drinks. The fizz in carbonated drinks (even diet ones) can cause gas to get trapped in your belly.
2. Eat smaller meals more often. Instead of eating 3 big meals a day, try eating smaller amounts/meals more often. This can keep you free of the bloated feeling that often follows large meals. Eating more frequently can also help contron blood sugar and manage hunger.
3. Don’t eat too fast. Eating quickly and not chewing your food well can causer air swallowing that leads to bloating. So slow down and ENJOY your food. Your meals should last at least 30 minutes, for snacks I’d aim for 10-15minutes. Keep in mind that digestion begins in the mouth and you can decrease bloating just by simply chewing your food more!
WHAT I am doing TODAY and invite you to take a look at trying it for yourself! I am doing a 3 day shakeology cleanse. When I first became a beachbody coach I would do this and last year Team Beachbody released their own “cleanse” called the 3 Day Refresh which I have also done in the past. Why am I doing the shakeology cleanse? Both programs have given me weightloss and de-bloating results. DISCLAIMER: I have heard from customers who say doing either of these programs actually makes them bloat up so be forewarned that everyone’s body and chemistry is different. For anyone interested in trying this on their own with their own protein shakes, I’m happy to share the eating plan which you will repeat all THREE days.
Breakfast: Shakeology w/ice & water, 1/2 cup fruit
Snack: 1 fruit
Lunch: Shakeology w/ ice & water, 1 cup green tea
Snack: Shakeology w/ice & water
Dinner: Lean 6oz protein (fish, chicken) over 2 cups of greens. 2 tbs dressing is allowed.
If you want it more regimented, then you can go to my website and order the Refresh Kit (retails $70) and if you want to learn how to save 10% off your order then message me at Jenn Voss Fitness or email me at Beachbody Coach Jenn.
To change your body, to reach new fitness goals you must always be seeking new ways to challenge yourself. One of the best reasons to be active in the beachbody community is to always be inspired to be doing more to improve your own health and fitness. Whenever you need to feel your best, I highly recommend trying the tips above or investing in doing a cleanse/ refresh!
Monday are great days to set new goals and NEW intentions. Here are 3 tips to use for trying a new class and making your workouts fun! I shared my own experiences in using each of these tips, I’d love to hear if these helped you today!!
1) Just Give it a TRY. Trying new classes or formats can be intimidating, even if you are a regular group fitness class junkie. Sometimes we put off trying something because of perceptions that we are not at a level high enough to do well, for fear of failure or even social status only triathletes do those classes or that workout will be hard on my knees. In MY EXPERIENCE…I hear about new classes or I’m invited to a jam session, zumbathon, its all good things! For me my excuse was that classes didn’t fit in my busy schedule. It’s about making that time for yourself friends! It’s about getting off your butt and making it THERE and then be ready to give it your best. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!
2) Focus on your RESULTS. We all want to improve, be better than we were yesterday, last week or last year even. It’s easy to fall into same routine of workouts and your body gets in a rhythm. Daily habits and rituals are great, dont get me wrong! It’s up to us to challenge ourselves and our bodies to move in new ways. You will be surprised by the results and how you feel by adding in a workout that you normally do not do. MY EXPERIENCE….I am a cardio junkie! Yep I do zumba 2-4x a week and running floods my body full of endorphins and feel good vibes. I find that I need to make the extra EFFORT to schedule in strength and flexibility workouts or they just don’t happen. If possible you can look for what is commonly called FUSION classes or classes like Yoga Sculpt which promise to deliver more than 1 format in ONE workout.
3) Buddy Up! Call up a girlfriend and make it a date, or if you’re out with friends have them pull out their calendar and right there pull up the schedule of that kickboxing class down the street (thank you technology and smart phones!) and set a day/time to get together to attend a class. The other way I get friends to meet me is I post on social media the day and class I want to attend and see if anyone else is available– so try tweeting it or sharing it on facebook. When you have something planned with a friend, you are less likely to skip that workout! MY EXPERIENCE….hanging out with friends post run or workouts we like to chit chat about our week ahead and what we will be doing for fitness. For instance, one week post-run a friend handed me a FREE 2 week pass to core power yoga studio and begged me to attend the 9am yoga sculpt class with her that day. It was something I had wanted to try so I jumped and said I’d make it happen. Went home, made kiddos breakfast. Rinsed off from my run, grabbed a mat, water bottle and towel and made it to that session on time!
So today, drop your excuses and this month make a conscious effort to get out there and try a new class, take your bike on a new trail or lace up and run a trail instead of the track.
Keep pushing your body, you may surprise yourself and find that you can do much more than you think you can!
I believe in you!
Weekend Recap: First Miles post Flu, Olympic Trials and Valentines
Its Monday and an extended weekend for many as we celebrate Presidents Day today! Schools, Banks and Federal Agencies are closed to recognize the holiday. I failed to realize this and set my normal Monday alarm for my regular wake up time, however it’s all good! It’s now ‘found’ time that I have to myself this morning before my husband and kids wake up. I need to get my mojo back so starting the week off by setting my sleep patterns right is a very good thing! Sipping my coffee and enjoying a couple hershey’s kisses…here’s what happened over the last few days.
Last week the flu knocked me out and I was way more sick than I had thought I was with it. I usually bounce back quick after a cold, I dont get sick very often. Having the flu taught me that one just does not jump back into what you were doing previously to the illness as fast as you’d like to. Even though I was feeling better every day, by 3-4pm I would begin to feel weary and a mild-grade fever would return. I felt lazy but there was no way for me to focus last week on any one task other than to sleep it off and bring down my fever. Friday morning I met my personal training client at gym and after our session I ran my FIRST mile on the treadmill since getting the flu. It was tough and I ended up run/walking that mile. Rather than feeling good about moving, I found myself ready to cry because it was SO HARD. I wanted to be able to get more distance, but also realizing that my body was not healed enough to handle it. I ended up napping 3 hours later that day and actually made it to the gym to train a new personal training client.
Saturday morning I felt lost, I slept in when I am usually out running a long run with friends. It was bitter cold sub-zero temps so I was a bit thankful to still be in recovery phase from the flu. I got dressed, packed my pre-workout energize and headed to the YMCA to teach 2 youth bootcamp classes. In the second 45min class I got winded doing plyometric and HIIT workouts with the kids. After classes, I headed to the fitness center to run and in my head I set a goal of running a 5k. I was excited to see that the olympic marathon trials were on TV and it was so inspiring to see the men and women running that I pushed myself to run more than walk. Still, I found my breath was short and my chest was sore so I only managed to run 2.5miles. I felt like a slow snail compared to the 5:06/mile pace the men were clocking in the trials. Wow, I’d love to see some elites who run that fast in person—going to have to get to a race to volunteer this spring so I can cheer runners on!
After a hot bath, I got a TWO hour nap and ended up just resting. My husband had to grocery shop that night after work because I just didnt get back out and the whole family sat down to a healthy taco dinner saturday night. It doesn’t happen very often for us all to sit together these days with our crazy schedules, it was nice to find one day this weekend. We assigned jobs for the kids to help get the house deep cleaned since nothing was really cleaned up at all during the week–the reward would be a family outing to see DeadPool on Monday. I ended up going to bed early again, sleep schedule was still way off at this point.
Valentines day I made heart shaped pancakes and sausage for my family, didnt they turn out nice?
I ran 1 quick mile at the gym and felt good—like I could have ran further but there was not enough time to stay there and run before my Sunday Zumba class. I had a great turnout at class, several new faces even. However by the end of my 60min dance fest I was winded and tired—my lungs felt like they had ran a ½ marathon. Another day of recuperating was in store—came home for another bath and 3 hour nap. Snow started after lunchtime and our plans to meet another couple fell through, but we decided to still go out just the two of us. I had skipped lunch and was ravenous so begged my husband to take me for a burger. We ended up going to Red Robin–I love their burgers! Onion ring appetizer, guac burger and sweet potato fries consumed, I was in burger heaven. We walked around the mall after to help our food settle, but I stayed in a food coma for hours. On the way home, we stopped at ALDI, it was supposed to be an in/out trip but I apparently took longer than a gay couple who had entered the store after I did to shop. My husband had stayed in car and was texting me to try to hurry me up. I had to circle back to the fresh produce to look for green beans and ended up getting frozen chicken which means that TODAY Presidents Day is my meal prep day. Going to get moving, heading to gym to train 3 clients today back to back. Then we’re heading to a matinee and I’ll be food prepping all evening for the week ahead.
Wishing you all a good start to your week!!
Happy New Year, who else is adjusting to the idea that we are officially into 2016?!
Its so true that after the weekend on Monday it is the BEST time of the week to pick yourself up and give yourself a fresh start, but TODAY…the FIRST Monday of the year is so much more special and important so I am encouraging you today to do ONE thing that brings you closer to improving your health and fitness.
Here are my TOP THREE ways you can start off on the right foot….even if you have not yet defined your health and fitness goals for the year or decided exactly where to start!
1. Move TODAY! Thats right, whether its walking, jogging, running, dancing, stretching, posing, jiggling, jumping, swaying, rowing, swinging, ponging, or just BREATHING….take 20-30minutes to move your body today. We have become accustomed to living a more sedentary lifestyle thanks to the advances in technology and increasing number of hours we spend in front of a screen (be it computer, tablet, phone or TV). Even when we are “plugged” in, our bodies can still MOVE so there are really NO EXCUSES to getting this done today.
2. Make Healthy Food Choices. Make a conscious effort today to choose a piece of fruit over that brownie, say no to a second helping and vow to balance out your meals with protein, healthy fats/carbs and veggies! One way I catch myself is by taking pictures of my food before I eat it—give this a try today and see if you give some pause on what you might ADD or SUBTRACT from your meal to make it healthier!
3. Make a DECISION, Take ACTION! Look at your health and fitness goals. What is one thing that you need to make that a reality this year. Get a COACH, find a MENTOR who has done it and get their advice. Going beyond that, I say enroll into a fitness program, purchase equipment, buy a workout dvd, hire a trainer, join a gym, sign up for that ONE race you want to do this year. Trust me, taking an ACTION step today will propell you forward to where you want to go and help push yourself to change and grow.
So…which will it be for you today, this first MONDAY of 2016?
Maybe if you’re really ambitious, you’ll go for ALL THREE!
Cheers to your good health friends and looking forward to encouraging you to living your best fit life this year. If you are not working with a coach and want to find out how I help others get fit and healthy message me. If you have not checked out the beachbody ON DEMAND fitness library and want a 30 day TRIAL, then click HERE to activate it today (upon activation I will contact you to give you my grocery list and meal plan for the week to help you get started).
All the best!