Tag Archives: energy
Wahoo! I love inspiring people who are passionate about fitness to go to the next level. In fact, I was super excited to learn that Zumba recently launched a new mentoring program that I plan to participate in: ZIN MENTORING PROGRAM. If you have the personality, the passion and the desire to teach fitness then I say go for it! As the fitness industry continues to evolve, opportunities for instructors have never been greater. With so much variety in the field, no two interview experiences are the same. Keep in mind that most companies require a verbal interview and a live audition.
The scary image (and I say that lovingly because I have always been a die-hard American Idol fan) that comes to mind when we hear the word AUDITION these days is the one &only Simon Cowell. Am I right or am I RIGHT?!
The following tips can help you prepare for your interview and make a great first impression and GET HIRED:
- SMILE. Yes, from the first moment you talk to someone to meeting them in person I say be happy! Leave what happened this morning behind you or even what happened at the last audition if you are doing multiple auditions. Be happy, grateful and personal. Make a lasting FIRST IMPRESSION, strong handshake and be people friendly.
- BE PREPARED. Do you have a certification? Do you have your CPR/AED card? Know ahead what credentials they require and bring them to the audition with you. If you do not have them, some gyms will give you up to 6 months to get what you need to teach at their facility. What skills should you present in the audition? Will there be live participants in the audition? What kind of sound system does the club have? What equipment will be available? Stop by the facility in advance if possible, to be sure you know where you’re going and to scope out the audition space. Research the organization’s website and social media to get a feel for the culture and mission.
- DRESS FOR SUCCESS. ou want your appearance to convey that you’re neat and professional. Wear modest clothing that keeps you appropriately covered during all movement. Make sure your hair is away from your face and you are able to focus on your teaching skills rather than your outfit–make eye contact when possible when you are auditioning. Each organization has its own unique culture, but professional and conservative attire is always a safe bet.
- BRING IT. When it is time to Audition, take the floor and OWN IT!! Show your Passion for teaching in every step that you take! KNOW your material and practice ahead of time. Show your Confidence, Musicality, Cueing Skills, Energy & Enthusiasm, Knowledge on Form/Technique and Modifications to name a few. You will have less than 5 minutes to put it all together…do your BEST, have FUN and be YOU x 10!! Recognize that there are areas that you may need to work on, be OPEN to feedback and let the GX Director know you are willing to LEARN & TRAIN with them to get better…that goes a long way!
- INTERVIEW THEM. Prepare questions in advance to show the interviewer you’re serious about the job, and to determine if the organization is a good fit for you. Is there financial assistance or incentives for continuing education? Do you need to carry professional liability insurance? Preparation is the difference between a mediocre and extraordinary interview. Each interview is an opportunity to explore the field and learn about your own wants and needs so you can find that perfect fit.
Overall, just enjoy your experience and be flexible with whatever options are offered to you. Not everyone lands that dream time slot or perfect day of the week that they want to teach. Maybe you even just start out as a sub, but go in with the attitude of “how can I help” and show some flexibility and willingness to learn you will be building relationships within the fitness community and your reputation as a trusted instructor who is willing to do what it takes to improve and do their best.
Good luck! Do not hesitate to reach out to me and let me know how your auditions go and if there is any way I can help!
STAY POSITIVE! What is the alternative—basically there is NO ALTERNATIVE when you want to live your best life.
Who wakes up and says I’m hoping to get nothing accomplished today, there is nothing that can make this day better. Wait. I hear some of you saying, well yeah what about rest days, sick days or vacation? The goal is to just OWN TODAY whatever that intention you set for it. So today I wanted to share some positive affirmations that I believe everyone should say out loud EVERY DAY.
- I am feeling healthy and strong today.
- I have the courage to make this a GREAT day.
- My body is getting stronger and improving every day.
- Everything works out for the highest good.
- I will make a positive difference for someone today.
- Everything I need comes to me at the right time.
- My work has meaning and purpose.
- I am grateful, I enjoy every moment of the day.
- My friendships are filled with love and joy.
- I am in charge of my emotions, my desires, my abilities and I only focus on success.
Try reading these 10 affirmations ALOUD when you first wake up in the morning. If you can, find a quiet space where you can sit and focus on you—no phone, no notifications, no distractions. Go ahead and try it for a 7-10 days and see how you are feeling at the end of the week. I bet that you will have a spring in your step, smile more and others around you will notice and their moods/productivity will improve too!
If you like this, be sure to sign up for my newsletter, it comes out monthly on the 1st of the month. I will be sharing more affirmations and there will be a 30 day challenge invite for you to participate in as well as tips on setting up a GROWTH PLAN. FITADDICTIVE Newsletter: http://bit.ly/JENNVnewsletter Stay tuned for more posts and information on how to improve your self esteem and invest in YOU in the month ahead!
Spring has finally SPRUNG! Open the windows, let in the fresh air and deep clean everything. It’s also a good time to take closer look at your own health and see if you might need some internal spring cleaning too.
Have you ever considered doing a DETOX? Well, I will be honest in telling you that when I hear this word I immediately start to cringe because to me it means I will be needing to limit or take away foods from my diet. In some cases, this can be a good thing but to an endurance athlete, we need to keep our fuel clean and keep it coming to give our bodies the nutrition to support the level of training we put in day in and day out. Therefore, it is not usually recommended that anyone in training for any level of Endurance Events/Races participate in a detox. That being said, we all have our “off training” months or even periods within our training schedules where we are working out at a lower intensity and THAT is the perfect time to find a detox program that fits your needs and schedule. I’d love to share with you some common reasons WHY you might consider or your body might NEED a detox!
- Weightloss Resistance
- Fluid Retention
- Gallbladder Issues (or you’ve had it removed)
- Feeling Depressed
- Skin Problems/ Allergic Reactions
If you have more than 3 of these symptoms it’s a sure sign that your body might be out of balance and a Detox may be able to help! There are so many programs out there and I’m here to tell you that I’ve tried a couple and happy to give you my take a ways today. I encourage you to look at several options and find one that fits best with your lifestyle. Depending on the intensity of the symptoms you may want a longer program, but for my own personal ACTIVE lifestyle I’m finding that anywhere from 3 to 21 days works for me.
Whole 30. First you should read the book It Starts With Food. This is the bible for this program and will tell you exactly what you can eat and what you will need to limit for 30 days. I say limit because most American’s do not normally eat this way and so it’s a big shock to most people’s body. I mention this one first because it has been recommended to anyone suffering from celiac or gluten sensitivities. If that is you, talk to your doctor and see if plunging head first into this program can deliver you real results, real fast.
21 Day Sugar Detox (Diane Fillapino) Loved this program and especially her cookbook. What’s nice about this program is you can pick your LEVEL of intensity and really ease your way into a “Whole30” level of thinking. You complete a short survey to find out where you should start and for me I was already cutting out dairy and grains so I followed level 3. What really worked for me was creating a list of foods I had that were “approved” for my level of the program taped to my fridge. I listed all the items in my pantry, fridge and pre-made snacks so that helped me eat healthy.
3 Day Refresh (Beachbody) 72 hours is very doable for anyone, which is what makes this program the most versatile ever! It’s also gentle enough that if your wallet allows it you could essentially “Refresh” monthly, but I’m thinking for me I’ll be doing it at least 4-5x a year. Every kit comes with a journal booklet, suggested snacks and meals and daily guide. If you use and follow the friendly “fill-in-the-blank” daily journal you cannot go off track.
No matter what program you choose, be it one of the ones mentioned above or another one that you research on your own, I highly recommend seeking out some sort of support group. For all of these I found an online community of new friends who were doing the same program at the same time. We checked in daily, shared recipes and asked questions of each other for modifications or for suggestions on how to food prep and outside factors like effects it was having on our moods and family/work life. It makes a big difference to know there’s someone you can lean on and everyone brought an energy to pushing through to the end of the program. One final word, it is important to know that a detox is just that, it is a TEMPORARY eating lifestyle. For me, my body is happiest when I find a grey area between Paleo/Whole30/Sugar Detox/LowCarb/NoDairy/LowGrains diet. See what I mean? Everyone’s body, activity and metabolism is on its own frequency so dont try to fit yourself into ONE “boxed” solution.
I’d love to hear from you about your detox journey, keep me posted. Cheers to your good health!
Weekends are a great time to reset for the week ahead and TODAY I will be resetting my nutrition as I begin my very first 21DSD (21 day sugar detox) alongside starting a new fitness program, Insanity Max 30. It is not unlike me to want to do it all, to take on a bigger challenge and so I took the initiative to do more prepping more this weekend than I have in the last couple months.
This 21 Day Fix Friendly recipe works perfect, falls within the guidelines of the sugar detox program and I’ll be using my colored containers to measure my foods for all my meals over the next 3 weeks. This is nothing new, but I wanted to share my tips on how to make your next egg muffin batch turn out perfect in every way!
Ingredients can vary…but one ingredient I think you should include ALWAYS is onion. So follow this simple equation and you cannot fail: Eggs + Veggies + Onion. In keeping track of meal portions and using the 21 day fix containers this is how it breaks down. I use a 12 serving muffin pan, so 4 “egg muffins” equal 1 red/1 green serving on the plan.
PreHeat oven to 350 degrees. Scrambled Eggs, chopped veggies & onion and added to egg mixture–I added 1 tsp of salt/pepper. Spray muffin pan generously with oil. I used a ladel to pour the mixture into the pan. Bake for 15 mins. At end, I noticed tops were still a little runny so I put my muffin pan under broiler for 2 minutes to finish them off, use your judgement, eggs should not be runny.
I put one set of four in the freezer, the others I separated into sandwich baggies and placed in fridge on top shelf perfect for Grab n Go!
Enjoy and let me know what veggie combinations you use when making your Egg Muffins!