Tag Archives: fitaddictive
Being a FITNESS Instructor, ENDURANCE athlete and a PERSONAL Trainer is a busy but rewarding career. I love my job and love pushing myself to reach my own personal fitness goals. How does one stay on track when being physically active is part of your J.O.B.? Here’s how I am making it work for me, a few tips and tricks that I have found to be tried and true. Believe me though, with every new training program, fitness program and goal I set for myself I am constantly trying new products, new techniques and new plans to help myself stay HEALTHY, INJURY FREE and PUSHING closer to achieving my Fitness Goals.
Work your SCHEDULE to your advantage…when you are working at a gym or fitness center, you typically get free perks like a FREE MEMBERSHIP. Each week that you are scheduling your clients be sure to write in your own time for your workouts and training.
DAILY “Personal” WORKOUTS…dont skip them! Just as you hold your own clients and students accountable for showing up, you must walk the walk, when you talk the talk. All of those programs you write out for your clients, keep them in a notebook and do them yourself. Another resource I have found to help me is having access to live streaming workouts such as Beachbody On Demand. Calendars are loaded up so I can reference them easily and if I run out of time, the workouts have a timer and I can go back in later in day to complete from where I left off. If you havent checked out BOD, click HERE and Click on SIGN ME up for FREE CLUB and you’ll get a 30-day trial, its just $2.99 a week to have access to this incredible library of workouts at your fingertips.
Nutrition and Not Skipping Meals…having a busy lifestyle means you are burning a lot of calories daily, make sure you are keeping your energy up by eating 5-6 meals a day. Meal planning is essential for fueling your body and keeping your energy up. Your “weekend” prep days may actually fall on a Monday or Tuesday so use those days to cut up veggies, cook your chicken and get organized. Having a few staples on hand with you in your gym back will save you time and money. My top go-to snacks are ALMONDS, KIND or LARA Bars, JAR of SeaSalt Peanuts, Single Serve packets of NUT BUTTER, green APPLES (bananas get smooshed easily and ripen faster).
Find a Fitness Community…surrounding yourself with people who share your same passions is so important. Your neighbor or that mom who gives your kid a ride to/from school that you talk to everyday, unless they are joining you in training for that upcoming Ultra or Ironman then even if they support you they cannot really understand your challenges. Having a community that you can post your daily wins and get feedback on what you next step should be or what is working to increase speed for that upcoming race can be so helpful. I like to join as many running groups, organizations and clubs that I can. Some are beyond me where people are pushing to do 100 mile races or a full ironman. Im not there yet, but having that peek into what goes into their training gives me an idea of what it would take for me to commit to doing an event of that magnitude. I love to dream big. At the same time, its a big confidence builder when in a C25k group I can inspire and help others get from the couch to finishing their first 5k race strong.
Self Care: Choose Activities that renew YOU and nurture your body and soul… start with what you enjoy doing when you are resting, what do you tell your clients to do if they are experiencing muscle soreness–ice pack, epsom salt bath, foam rolling, active rest activities. Take your own advice. Some other ways to renew: spend time with friends, get a mani/pedi, go out for a slow run, be a student in another persons class, take a training. Whatever revives you to help you feel more CONFIDENT.
FINAL THOUGHTS… To help others you must know how to HELP yourself first and be the best version of you possible. Write it down. Create a vision board. List certifications or workshops you want to attend and books you want to read. Let your passion and love of your craft drive you to become the EXPERT in whatever you do.
First of all, Mondays are terrific for starting FRESH. Here’s the trick though, its easy to get stuck in a yo-yo dieting nightmare if you are restarting EVERY Monday. Nonetheless, Summertime is great time to be with friends and family, concerts and celebrations but come Monday after the weekend Im not sure about you but my midsection feels a little fluffier than usual. I woke up feeling this way today after spending 2 days with my parents in michigan. I mean who can resist a home made breakfast prepared by your mom? So here’s a couple of tips for you to get back on track today and a special invitation to join my next fitness challenge.
Three Quick Fixes to Reducing bloat:
1. Drink more water and AVOID carbonated drinks. The fizz in carbonated drinks (even diet ones) can cause gas to get trapped in your belly.
2. Eat smaller meals more often. Instead of eating 3 big meals a day, try eating smaller amounts/meals more often. This can keep you free of the bloated feeling that often follows large meals. Eating more frequently can also help contron blood sugar and manage hunger.
3. Don’t eat too fast. Eating quickly and not chewing your food well can causer air swallowing that leads to bloating. So slow down and ENJOY your food. Your meals should last at least 30 minutes, for snacks I’d aim for 10-15minutes. Keep in mind that digestion begins in the mouth and you can decrease bloating just by simply chewing your food more!
WHAT I am doing TODAY and invite you to take a look at trying it for yourself! I am doing a 3 day shakeology cleanse. When I first became a beachbody coach I would do this and last year Team Beachbody released their own “cleanse” called the 3 Day Refresh which I have also done in the past. Why am I doing the shakeology cleanse? Both programs have given me weightloss and de-bloating results. DISCLAIMER: I have heard from customers who say doing either of these programs actually makes them bloat up so be forewarned that everyone’s body and chemistry is different. For anyone interested in trying this on their own with their own protein shakes, I’m happy to share the eating plan which you will repeat all THREE days.
Breakfast: Shakeology w/ice & water, 1/2 cup fruit
Snack: 1 fruit
Lunch: Shakeology w/ ice & water, 1 cup green tea
Snack: Shakeology w/ice & water
Dinner: Lean 6oz protein (fish, chicken) over 2 cups of greens. 2 tbs dressing is allowed.
If you want it more regimented, then you can go to my website and order the Refresh Kit (retails $70) and if you want to learn how to save 10% off your order then message me at Jenn Voss Fitness or email me at Beachbody Coach Jenn.
To change your body, to reach new fitness goals you must always be seeking new ways to challenge yourself. One of the best reasons to be active in the beachbody community is to always be inspired to be doing more to improve your own health and fitness. Whenever you need to feel your best, I highly recommend trying the tips above or investing in doing a cleanse/ refresh!
Monday are great days to set new goals and NEW intentions. Here are 3 tips to use for trying a new class and making your workouts fun! I shared my own experiences in using each of these tips, I’d love to hear if these helped you today!!
1) Just Give it a TRY. Trying new classes or formats can be intimidating, even if you are a regular group fitness class junkie. Sometimes we put off trying something because of perceptions that we are not at a level high enough to do well, for fear of failure or even social status only triathletes do those classes or that workout will be hard on my knees. In MY EXPERIENCE…I hear about new classes or I’m invited to a jam session, zumbathon, its all good things! For me my excuse was that classes didn’t fit in my busy schedule. It’s about making that time for yourself friends! It’s about getting off your butt and making it THERE and then be ready to give it your best. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!
2) Focus on your RESULTS. We all want to improve, be better than we were yesterday, last week or last year even. It’s easy to fall into same routine of workouts and your body gets in a rhythm. Daily habits and rituals are great, dont get me wrong! It’s up to us to challenge ourselves and our bodies to move in new ways. You will be surprised by the results and how you feel by adding in a workout that you normally do not do. MY EXPERIENCE….I am a cardio junkie! Yep I do zumba 2-4x a week and running floods my body full of endorphins and feel good vibes. I find that I need to make the extra EFFORT to schedule in strength and flexibility workouts or they just don’t happen. If possible you can look for what is commonly called FUSION classes or classes like Yoga Sculpt which promise to deliver more than 1 format in ONE workout.
3) Buddy Up! Call up a girlfriend and make it a date, or if you’re out with friends have them pull out their calendar and right there pull up the schedule of that kickboxing class down the street (thank you technology and smart phones!) and set a day/time to get together to attend a class. The other way I get friends to meet me is I post on social media the day and class I want to attend and see if anyone else is available– so try tweeting it or sharing it on facebook. When you have something planned with a friend, you are less likely to skip that workout! MY EXPERIENCE….hanging out with friends post run or workouts we like to chit chat about our week ahead and what we will be doing for fitness. For instance, one week post-run a friend handed me a FREE 2 week pass to core power yoga studio and begged me to attend the 9am yoga sculpt class with her that day. It was something I had wanted to try so I jumped and said I’d make it happen. Went home, made kiddos breakfast. Rinsed off from my run, grabbed a mat, water bottle and towel and made it to that session on time!
So today, drop your excuses and this month make a conscious effort to get out there and try a new class, take your bike on a new trail or lace up and run a trail instead of the track.
Keep pushing your body, you may surprise yourself and find that you can do much more than you think you can!
I believe in you!
STAY POSITIVE! What is the alternative—basically there is NO ALTERNATIVE when you want to live your best life.
Who wakes up and says I’m hoping to get nothing accomplished today, there is nothing that can make this day better. Wait. I hear some of you saying, well yeah what about rest days, sick days or vacation? The goal is to just OWN TODAY whatever that intention you set for it. So today I wanted to share some positive affirmations that I believe everyone should say out loud EVERY DAY.
- I am feeling healthy and strong today.
- I have the courage to make this a GREAT day.
- My body is getting stronger and improving every day.
- Everything works out for the highest good.
- I will make a positive difference for someone today.
- Everything I need comes to me at the right time.
- My work has meaning and purpose.
- I am grateful, I enjoy every moment of the day.
- My friendships are filled with love and joy.
- I am in charge of my emotions, my desires, my abilities and I only focus on success.
Try reading these 10 affirmations ALOUD when you first wake up in the morning. If you can, find a quiet space where you can sit and focus on you—no phone, no notifications, no distractions. Go ahead and try it for a 7-10 days and see how you are feeling at the end of the week. I bet that you will have a spring in your step, smile more and others around you will notice and their moods/productivity will improve too!
If you like this, be sure to sign up for my newsletter, it comes out monthly on the 1st of the month. I will be sharing more affirmations and there will be a 30 day challenge invite for you to participate in as well as tips on setting up a GROWTH PLAN. FITADDICTIVE Newsletter: http://bit.ly/JENNVnewsletter Stay tuned for more posts and information on how to improve your self esteem and invest in YOU in the month ahead!