Tag Archives: fitfluential
Being a FITNESS Instructor, ENDURANCE athlete and a PERSONAL Trainer is a busy but rewarding career. I love my job and love pushing myself to reach my own personal fitness goals. How does one stay on track when being physically active is part of your J.O.B.? Here’s how I am making it work for me, a few tips and tricks that I have found to be tried and true. Believe me though, with every new training program, fitness program and goal I set for myself I am constantly trying new products, new techniques and new plans to help myself stay HEALTHY, INJURY FREE and PUSHING closer to achieving my Fitness Goals.
Work your SCHEDULE to your advantage…when you are working at a gym or fitness center, you typically get free perks like a FREE MEMBERSHIP. Each week that you are scheduling your clients be sure to write in your own time for your workouts and training.
DAILY “Personal” WORKOUTS…dont skip them! Just as you hold your own clients and students accountable for showing up, you must walk the walk, when you talk the talk. All of those programs you write out for your clients, keep them in a notebook and do them yourself. Another resource I have found to help me is having access to live streaming workouts such as Beachbody On Demand. Calendars are loaded up so I can reference them easily and if I run out of time, the workouts have a timer and I can go back in later in day to complete from where I left off. If you havent checked out BOD, click HERE and Click on SIGN ME up for FREE CLUB and you’ll get a 30-day trial, its just $2.99 a week to have access to this incredible library of workouts at your fingertips.
Nutrition and Not Skipping Meals…having a busy lifestyle means you are burning a lot of calories daily, make sure you are keeping your energy up by eating 5-6 meals a day. Meal planning is essential for fueling your body and keeping your energy up. Your “weekend” prep days may actually fall on a Monday or Tuesday so use those days to cut up veggies, cook your chicken and get organized. Having a few staples on hand with you in your gym back will save you time and money. My top go-to snacks are ALMONDS, KIND or LARA Bars, JAR of SeaSalt Peanuts, Single Serve packets of NUT BUTTER, green APPLES (bananas get smooshed easily and ripen faster).
Find a Fitness Community…surrounding yourself with people who share your same passions is so important. Your neighbor or that mom who gives your kid a ride to/from school that you talk to everyday, unless they are joining you in training for that upcoming Ultra or Ironman then even if they support you they cannot really understand your challenges. Having a community that you can post your daily wins and get feedback on what you next step should be or what is working to increase speed for that upcoming race can be so helpful. I like to join as many running groups, organizations and clubs that I can. Some are beyond me where people are pushing to do 100 mile races or a full ironman. Im not there yet, but having that peek into what goes into their training gives me an idea of what it would take for me to commit to doing an event of that magnitude. I love to dream big. At the same time, its a big confidence builder when in a C25k group I can inspire and help others get from the couch to finishing their first 5k race strong.
Self Care: Choose Activities that renew YOU and nurture your body and soul… start with what you enjoy doing when you are resting, what do you tell your clients to do if they are experiencing muscle soreness–ice pack, epsom salt bath, foam rolling, active rest activities. Take your own advice. Some other ways to renew: spend time with friends, get a mani/pedi, go out for a slow run, be a student in another persons class, take a training. Whatever revives you to help you feel more CONFIDENT.
FINAL THOUGHTS… To help others you must know how to HELP yourself first and be the best version of you possible. Write it down. Create a vision board. List certifications or workshops you want to attend and books you want to read. Let your passion and love of your craft drive you to become the EXPERT in whatever you do.
Monday are great days to set new goals and NEW intentions. Here are 3 tips to use for trying a new class and making your workouts fun! I shared my own experiences in using each of these tips, I’d love to hear if these helped you today!!
1) Just Give it a TRY. Trying new classes or formats can be intimidating, even if you are a regular group fitness class junkie. Sometimes we put off trying something because of perceptions that we are not at a level high enough to do well, for fear of failure or even social status only triathletes do those classes or that workout will be hard on my knees. In MY EXPERIENCE…I hear about new classes or I’m invited to a jam session, zumbathon, its all good things! For me my excuse was that classes didn’t fit in my busy schedule. It’s about making that time for yourself friends! It’s about getting off your butt and making it THERE and then be ready to give it your best. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!
2) Focus on your RESULTS. We all want to improve, be better than we were yesterday, last week or last year even. It’s easy to fall into same routine of workouts and your body gets in a rhythm. Daily habits and rituals are great, dont get me wrong! It’s up to us to challenge ourselves and our bodies to move in new ways. You will be surprised by the results and how you feel by adding in a workout that you normally do not do. MY EXPERIENCE….I am a cardio junkie! Yep I do zumba 2-4x a week and running floods my body full of endorphins and feel good vibes. I find that I need to make the extra EFFORT to schedule in strength and flexibility workouts or they just don’t happen. If possible you can look for what is commonly called FUSION classes or classes like Yoga Sculpt which promise to deliver more than 1 format in ONE workout.
3) Buddy Up! Call up a girlfriend and make it a date, or if you’re out with friends have them pull out their calendar and right there pull up the schedule of that kickboxing class down the street (thank you technology and smart phones!) and set a day/time to get together to attend a class. The other way I get friends to meet me is I post on social media the day and class I want to attend and see if anyone else is available– so try tweeting it or sharing it on facebook. When you have something planned with a friend, you are less likely to skip that workout! MY EXPERIENCE….hanging out with friends post run or workouts we like to chit chat about our week ahead and what we will be doing for fitness. For instance, one week post-run a friend handed me a FREE 2 week pass to core power yoga studio and begged me to attend the 9am yoga sculpt class with her that day. It was something I had wanted to try so I jumped and said I’d make it happen. Went home, made kiddos breakfast. Rinsed off from my run, grabbed a mat, water bottle and towel and made it to that session on time!
So today, drop your excuses and this month make a conscious effort to get out there and try a new class, take your bike on a new trail or lace up and run a trail instead of the track.
Keep pushing your body, you may surprise yourself and find that you can do much more than you think you can!
I believe in you!
Weekend Recap: First Miles post Flu, Olympic Trials and Valentines
Its Monday and an extended weekend for many as we celebrate Presidents Day today! Schools, Banks and Federal Agencies are closed to recognize the holiday. I failed to realize this and set my normal Monday alarm for my regular wake up time, however it’s all good! It’s now ‘found’ time that I have to myself this morning before my husband and kids wake up. I need to get my mojo back so starting the week off by setting my sleep patterns right is a very good thing! Sipping my coffee and enjoying a couple hershey’s kisses…here’s what happened over the last few days.
Last week the flu knocked me out and I was way more sick than I had thought I was with it. I usually bounce back quick after a cold, I dont get sick very often. Having the flu taught me that one just does not jump back into what you were doing previously to the illness as fast as you’d like to. Even though I was feeling better every day, by 3-4pm I would begin to feel weary and a mild-grade fever would return. I felt lazy but there was no way for me to focus last week on any one task other than to sleep it off and bring down my fever. Friday morning I met my personal training client at gym and after our session I ran my FIRST mile on the treadmill since getting the flu. It was tough and I ended up run/walking that mile. Rather than feeling good about moving, I found myself ready to cry because it was SO HARD. I wanted to be able to get more distance, but also realizing that my body was not healed enough to handle it. I ended up napping 3 hours later that day and actually made it to the gym to train a new personal training client.
Saturday morning I felt lost, I slept in when I am usually out running a long run with friends. It was bitter cold sub-zero temps so I was a bit thankful to still be in recovery phase from the flu. I got dressed, packed my pre-workout energize and headed to the YMCA to teach 2 youth bootcamp classes. In the second 45min class I got winded doing plyometric and HIIT workouts with the kids. After classes, I headed to the fitness center to run and in my head I set a goal of running a 5k. I was excited to see that the olympic marathon trials were on TV and it was so inspiring to see the men and women running that I pushed myself to run more than walk. Still, I found my breath was short and my chest was sore so I only managed to run 2.5miles. I felt like a slow snail compared to the 5:06/mile pace the men were clocking in the trials. Wow, I’d love to see some elites who run that fast in person—going to have to get to a race to volunteer this spring so I can cheer runners on!
After a hot bath, I got a TWO hour nap and ended up just resting. My husband had to grocery shop that night after work because I just didnt get back out and the whole family sat down to a healthy taco dinner saturday night. It doesn’t happen very often for us all to sit together these days with our crazy schedules, it was nice to find one day this weekend. We assigned jobs for the kids to help get the house deep cleaned since nothing was really cleaned up at all during the week–the reward would be a family outing to see DeadPool on Monday. I ended up going to bed early again, sleep schedule was still way off at this point.
Valentines day I made heart shaped pancakes and sausage for my family, didnt they turn out nice?
I ran 1 quick mile at the gym and felt good—like I could have ran further but there was not enough time to stay there and run before my Sunday Zumba class. I had a great turnout at class, several new faces even. However by the end of my 60min dance fest I was winded and tired—my lungs felt like they had ran a ½ marathon. Another day of recuperating was in store—came home for another bath and 3 hour nap. Snow started after lunchtime and our plans to meet another couple fell through, but we decided to still go out just the two of us. I had skipped lunch and was ravenous so begged my husband to take me for a burger. We ended up going to Red Robin–I love their burgers! Onion ring appetizer, guac burger and sweet potato fries consumed, I was in burger heaven. We walked around the mall after to help our food settle, but I stayed in a food coma for hours. On the way home, we stopped at ALDI, it was supposed to be an in/out trip but I apparently took longer than a gay couple who had entered the store after I did to shop. My husband had stayed in car and was texting me to try to hurry me up. I had to circle back to the fresh produce to look for green beans and ended up getting frozen chicken which means that TODAY Presidents Day is my meal prep day. Going to get moving, heading to gym to train 3 clients today back to back. Then we’re heading to a matinee and I’ll be food prepping all evening for the week ahead.
Wishing you all a good start to your week!!
Happy New Year, who else is adjusting to the idea that we are officially into 2016?!
Its so true that after the weekend on Monday it is the BEST time of the week to pick yourself up and give yourself a fresh start, but TODAY…the FIRST Monday of the year is so much more special and important so I am encouraging you today to do ONE thing that brings you closer to improving your health and fitness.
Here are my TOP THREE ways you can start off on the right foot….even if you have not yet defined your health and fitness goals for the year or decided exactly where to start!
1. Move TODAY! Thats right, whether its walking, jogging, running, dancing, stretching, posing, jiggling, jumping, swaying, rowing, swinging, ponging, or just BREATHING….take 20-30minutes to move your body today. We have become accustomed to living a more sedentary lifestyle thanks to the advances in technology and increasing number of hours we spend in front of a screen (be it computer, tablet, phone or TV). Even when we are “plugged” in, our bodies can still MOVE so there are really NO EXCUSES to getting this done today.
2. Make Healthy Food Choices. Make a conscious effort today to choose a piece of fruit over that brownie, say no to a second helping and vow to balance out your meals with protein, healthy fats/carbs and veggies! One way I catch myself is by taking pictures of my food before I eat it—give this a try today and see if you give some pause on what you might ADD or SUBTRACT from your meal to make it healthier!
3. Make a DECISION, Take ACTION! Look at your health and fitness goals. What is one thing that you need to make that a reality this year. Get a COACH, find a MENTOR who has done it and get their advice. Going beyond that, I say enroll into a fitness program, purchase equipment, buy a workout dvd, hire a trainer, join a gym, sign up for that ONE race you want to do this year. Trust me, taking an ACTION step today will propell you forward to where you want to go and help push yourself to change and grow.
So…which will it be for you today, this first MONDAY of 2016?
Maybe if you’re really ambitious, you’ll go for ALL THREE!
Cheers to your good health friends and looking forward to encouraging you to living your best fit life this year. If you are not working with a coach and want to find out how I help others get fit and healthy message me. If you have not checked out the beachbody ON DEMAND fitness library and want a 30 day TRIAL, then click HERE to activate it today (upon activation I will contact you to give you my grocery list and meal plan for the week to help you get started).
All the best!
End of year….I have received so many last minute requests for subbing fitness classes and if you are not traveling its a way to bank some extra holiday cash when you work in fitness. I also love trying to squeeze in a few classes, take time to fine tune the latest certification you recieved or REVIVE your passion in an older format to bring new ENERGY to your classes in the new year—this month I have attended 1 spin class a week since getting my SCHWINN certification on Dec 5th.
TODAY…I had something amazing happen. I showed up ready to teach and this amazing, talented and seasoned instructor sauntered in and just OWNED the class.
She was the person I was subbing for and the class was GROUP GROOVE. Now, I was at first like “What is happening?!” because I had it in my head I was prepared to dance and make everyone feel welcome because lets face it instructors. Our students LOVE US…when we bring in subs its just not the same for them. The awful truth of it all though is I had never taken a Groove class so I was bringing them a totally different cardio dance experience. Well, thank heavens for Anne Springer, I must say that in 60minutes I FELL IN LOVE WITH GROOVE. <3
I wanted to share this because I feel like I don’t do this as often as I shoould and after today’s class I know one of my goals in the new year will be to attend new classes or at least try out new INSTRUCTOR’s classes 2x a month. I have a busy schedule so I cant say it will be 1x a week, but I feel confident that I can get to TWO!
Here’s my review of my first GROUP GROOVE experience and if you have a YMCA near you then you have these classes, so I highly recommend you get there in the new year as Anne is part of a “test group” of instructors who get materials ahead of everyone else– she previewed the NEW round of songs/choreography that will be released and I was smiling from the warm up to cooldown!
First…Anne made everyone wait in hallway, lights were dimmed & spotlights on in front of room. It felt like we were entering a “club” atmosphere. The songs were upbeat and I remember her calling out names of steps that resembled moves I do in zumba so I felt comfortable but the rhythms were different and body language had a more hip hop feel to it. There is a definite layout to the class: warmup, then dance 1 and cardio 1 and rotating I think we had 3 cardios at least and a 10min cooldown. Groove is taught where the instructor mirrors the class and Anne did use a microphone which I have traditionally done lots more non-verbal cueing for zumba. I love how she used the microphone to really increase the energy and excitement for every single movement we did in class. I did notice that by end of class Anne was dripping with sweat as I did get a workout in but I cannot say that I had the same “cardio” output that Anne had and I know I was dancing my heart out! Of course I know in instructing classes, especially dance we really EXAGGERATE the moves and with having to direct and LEAD and talk through it it is a tough workout! Cool down was a fun swagger and one last thing to mention about GROUP GROOVE…there were some moves that she did in the warm up that showed up again in the dances and then AGAIN in the cool down. Loved how the choreography was weaved throughout the entire class.
So there you have it! Im on Anne’s quickdial for the next instructor training date for Groove & you bet you’ll see me in more GROUP GROOVE classes as a STUDENT in the new year! SIDENOTE: GROOVE is a format of MOSSA I learned today and they have several other great formats so if you want to check them out, follow the link!
Tell me about the last class you attended and walked out feeling like you didnt want the class to end??!