Tag Archives: fitlifestyle
No matter what shape or level of fitness, weight can sometimes sneak up on you. If you followed my fitness journey, you may have heard of me sharing results from doing a 3 day Shakeology “Cleanse” in the past. Well in 2014 Team Beachbody took it one step further and from the creators of the Ultimate Reset they put together a new program appropriately named THE THREE DAY REFRESH. I’m excited to share my review and the results I got with you today!
BEHOLD….THE 3DAY REFRESH KIT & what you get! Imagine yourself thinner, lighter and leaner in 3 days. Yes, it can happen and this program definitely delivers that to you. Everyone’s body type is different, but even if you lose almost nothing, let that not deceive you because it is working from the Inside-Out.
This new improved system has a few added features: a daily FIBER drink and a simple meal plan allowing you to eat more veggies during day the new formulated VANILLA Fresh Shake that delivers top notch nutrition and increases your metabolism while on the program. It is recommended to drink VEGAN shakeology while on this program.
I did the refresh this past summer post-vacation and I invite you to take a peek at how I did it through watching my daily VLOG on my youtube channel, go here to SUBSCRIBE today –> JENNVOSS2000
The kit comes with 6 vanilla shakes, 3 fiber sweep drinks, 3 packets of shakeology. There is no guessing, it comes with a booklet that you FILL IN THE BLANKS as to what you will eat every day on the program. I found that having a light veggie snack with my lunch especially helped me stay full all day long. I will be honest, I was leery of the fiber drink because of my experience with the Ultimate Reset program. It did thicken up quick and I had to add water, but it had a lemony taste to it and so I found it to go down the hatch much smoother. There’s not a lot of choices for your snacks/dinner but hey, this is a 3 day experience, not supposed to be creating a new eating lifestyle.
3 days, 72 hours later….here are my results, I was very happy and felt lean and a lot lighter on my feet post Refresh. I honestly can say that I will definitely be doing this several times a year. I know some people will look and say—you looked good before you started, but I will let you know that no matter what size you are, vacation this summer left my body longing for regularity and real food and so it was desperately needed!
I will say I was not expecting such a HUGE drop in my weight, but I was so happy I could scream. For the past 3 years I have been able to maintain my weight right around 130lbs, this program really works. Plus, I see such a huge difference in my body composition!
Now, I’d love to share a few testimonials from my challengers who completed the Refresh just last month in January!
Down almost 5 lbs and the holiday bloat is gone! – Kristine
I feel slimmer in my waistline and down 3 lbs at the end of 3 days. -Michael
This was so easy, I feel lighter on my feet and lost 4.8lbs. I’m heading on a cruise in February and will do this again on my return. -Dayna
I’ll be doing another Refresh this SPRING, I like to think of my fueling and caring for my body like I do my car—every so many “miles” it’s time to get an “oil change” and your body needs to be cleaned out of toxins and reset just the same. That being said, you need to look at your calendar and plan out when it makes sense in your schedule to do this—for athletes in training I know we don’t like to switch up our nutrition before a big event but this may be a great way to recover or I’ve had a few friends do this during a taper to focus on clean eating and found that dropping 2-3 pounds heading into doing an event gave them an edge on reaching a new PR. No matter when you decide to do it, I’m here as a coach to guide you in preparing, cheer you on during and offer support post-refresh.
To join me in my next challenge, please go here and connect with me today –> 3 DAY REFRESH with JENN Save $$$ in FEBRUARY, this program is on SALE in a Challenge Pack for $140 (regularly $160) if you choose to order a 3DayRefresh Challenge Pack (refresh +bag of shakeology) you will receive a FREE $15 gift card to one of these grocery stores: Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Fresh Thyme or local store of your choice—to use in your clean eating shopping for your program!
Days are getting longer friends, Spring will be here soon! Cheers!
Happy Monday! New Year is around the corner and there’s only THREE more days left until we ring in 2015! I am getting excited for all that awaits me in the upcoming year, but there’s still so much to do to finish out 2014 which was an AMAZING year in my book!
Today I was procrastinating on getting out for a run—I let myself laze around on Saturday and Sunday and so I missed my opportunity to get that last LONG run in this year. Today’s culprit: I looked at my phone and it said “FEELS LIKE 18 DEGREES.” Now I ran all last winter in temps sometimes below zero and crazy wind chills so this really should not have been a challenge but today it was—we have been experiencing more mild temperatures here in Chicago and well, my body was revolting against rolling out of bed and into the chilly temps this morning!
Here’s the screen shot, taken while cowering under my covers and tweeting my friends this morning. This was taken after I had hit snooze at least 3 times–yes it was definitely feeling like a MONDAY morning!
I love social media—thanks to seeing other running friends and fitness friends posting that they actually made it to the gym or even had FINISHED their early morning workout, I knew I would feel like a schmuck if I didn’t get out for a run. Plus, 3 days left in the year–right then and there I made the commitment to myself that I would run EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM! Oh Yeah!
First, I needed to warm up from the inside out and so drank a cup of hot Lemon Water! Ahh….it hit the spot! I then put on my neck scarf I got from Detroit FreePress Marathon Expo and covered up my entire head, grabbed my 13.1 gloves (my first race of 2015 will be a 1/2 marathon on 1/24/15: Chicago Winter F3 Lake Half Marathon <–Still Time To Sign UP!) and laced up to brave the elements. Of course, safety first friends and it was DARK out there so I was sure to wear my Nathan Reflective Vest too–it is one of my most worn pieces of running gear!
I will not lie in saying that within the first mile my cheeks felt balmy and the sting of the fresh air upon my face was very brisk. Of course though as all winter runners know you begin to warm up by mile 1 and I had to remove my gloves from my sweaty hands. Yeah, I was beginning to overheat and I also was watching the clock—I was running out of time so of course this busy mom started to pick up the pace. The only thing with that plan was the cold air was freezing my throat and my legs were crying for a break so I did end up taking 2 short 1/2 block walking breaks on my 3mile run today. Let’s just say—I am so proud and happy I fit this one in today. I know we’ve all been there, it’s when you push yourself to do the training and put the effort into getting it done that sets you apart from the amateurs and wannabe runners. I’m ready to push my body to the Max in 2015, I plan to run smart, follow a set plan and stay injury free!
Cheers to Ending 2014 STRONG!
Setting NEW GOALS–Let’s DO IT! Welcome to a FRESH, NEW Month, 30 days for you to fill in with daily, weekly and end of month goals! I love this image from Lorna Jane Active & their Motto MOVE – NOURISH -BELIEVE, it really helps put me in the right mindset of Goal Setting because sometimes it’s hard to know how to get from where we are to where we want to be. If I am drawing blank I think about how my goals can fit into these three areas and the tips above!
First of the Month and you begin reflecting on what you accomplished the month before, do not discount even the smallest moves forward towards bigger goals! Write these in your journal or on your calendar for THIS month. These will help guide you towards setting your NEW Goals! Next up start making the list using the cues from above.
1) Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. A few Goals that you can add this month to help you succeed: Prepare your workouts, your calendar, alarms, prep grocery lists, clean out your pantry of processed/unhealthy foods, restock your gym bag, find and clean containers/bottles for packing healthy meals, simply put when setting goals write out exactly what tools you will need to meet them.
2) Track your Progress! Take your measurements, photos, weigh in and set new goals based on where you are and where you want to be. Decide how often you will track yourself this month so you can stay on track, will you do weekly weigh ins or only weigh in last day of the month?
3) Do it for YOU and don’t seek Approval. You take your own responsibility for your fitness journey, do not wait for others to give you permission to start. I think of this as I do with running, I train with a group but on race day I run my OWN race at my OWN pace and no one else is going to carry me across that finish line but ME.
4) If you Slip Up, Don’t Worry Just Keep Going! We are all human and so don’t beat yourself up if in your master plan a day doesn’t go accordingly accept it and move forward. Identifying where you may have challenges ahead may help you cope. Say you have a special event on a weekend this month, prepare for that and in knowing yourself and willpower make a plan to either do an extra workout before or after the event if you think you will over indulge in eating. Or you are going out of town, either pack a fitness DVD or plan to use a gym at the hotel. Even if you forget your gym attire, try to get up before your morning meeting/event and go for a walk!
5) Have a Workout Buddy. Accountability is key, find a girlfriend who is ENCOURAGING or plug into a fitness group either online or at your gym to help keep you on track. Posting to social media daily is a huge boost because you are putting it out there and yes there are people watching you! More than that, you need to have that friend/coach/trainer who knows what you are doing who will NOTICE and CHECK IN with you daily no matter what and you can be that person for them too, a real WIN-WIN.
6) Eat Clean, Whole & Fresh Foods! Goals for eating clean start here. What is one healthy change you can make this month? Maybe you want to do something more drastic, join a 5 day eating plan or 21 day detox. Set the date to start, get what you need ready at least 2 days earlier and commit to it. It does not need to be that extreme though, you may want to start by doing one of these: reduce your carbs, cut out dairy, remove red meat from your diet, no eating after 8pm, stock your fridge, eat more veggies, have a meatless meal 1-2x a week or what about using a smaller plate for meals!
7) Get Plenty of Rest. How many hours of sleep do you need? Generally, most can remain alert and be as active as they want when they get anywhere from 6-8hrs of sleep. Depending on the intensity of your workouts and number of days you are exercising, you may require more. Be diligent on this one, our bodies repair and re-energize while sleeping!
8) Reward Yourself! (not with food) What kind of incentive will you give yourself to get up at 5am every day? Have you ever tried a fitness jar—how it works is every day that you workout or stay on track you reward yourself with 1 dollar in the jar. At the end of the month if you received your goal then you can take that $$ and make plans to reward yourself with something that will show off your hard work or help you in reaching for that next fitness goal. Some ideas that I like to do: make a date for a massage/treatment to help soothe aching muscles or get a mani/pedi, sign up for a 5k or race, get new workout wear, new shoes, enroll in a new fitness class at the gym, sign up for a cooking class or maybe even treating yourself to a shopping spree at your favorite high end grocery to add healthy options to your meals ahead.
9) Surround Yourself with Positive People! This step is a tough one because we all have those friends that cannot seem to see the silver lining or even set small goals to improve themselves and drag down others in the process. It may be time as you begin your positive journey to remove or reduce contact with these people. Begin to create an “inner circle” of friends who share similar goals as you or who are at least being a cheerleader in your court. You will know them when you find them because they will be there giving you high fives and helping you believe that you can do it, even when you may doubt it yourself!
10) Talk to yourself like you would a FRIEND. I have a rule in my house, there are certain words that we do not say to each other and I”ll share them here with you. Stupid, Ignorant, Jerk, Idiot, Fool, Nerd. Remember to look in mirror and imagine you were saying these words out loud to your best friend. I guarantee you that you will be kinder, and gentler to yourself before the month is over! <3
Great! I hope this has helped you make a long list, now you just need to prioritize and get to work! I’d love to hear from you what your goals are this month, remember Aim High and Dream Big!
You’ve Got This —- Jenn
This is a food tip that I just discovered today and had to share with you. Have you ever tried to make poached eggs, only to have the egg whites floating everywhere and chasing them with a spoon to scoop them up? Yeah and then afterwards all the WORK that went into that process you remember and when you want a poached egg it just seems like so much work for one little egg on your plate.
Here’s a tool most people have in their kitchens that will help you make poaching eggs a BREEZE….the handled strainer! Yes! So total genius, you need to get a big enough pan (as you can see in this picture below, I used a wok type pan) and boil your water. Once it is boiling you simply put the strainer in the pan and crack the egg into the strainer.
After 8 mins I removed the egg with a spoon and plated it up with the sauteed zucchini that you see pictured. Now, I dont know about you but I believe that when you have a poached egg you need to eat toast with it to “soak up” the liquid egg yolk. It gets a little messy but oh so good! Here’s my plated breakfast today and I am happy to report that I will be now making poached egg sandwiches more often knowing this handy trick! Enjoy!