Tag Archives: fitness
Being a FITNESS Instructor, ENDURANCE athlete and a PERSONAL Trainer is a busy but rewarding career. I love my job and love pushing myself to reach my own personal fitness goals. How does one stay on track when being physically active is part of your J.O.B.? Here’s how I am making it work for me, a few tips and tricks that I have found to be tried and true. Believe me though, with every new training program, fitness program and goal I set for myself I am constantly trying new products, new techniques and new plans to help myself stay HEALTHY, INJURY FREE and PUSHING closer to achieving my Fitness Goals.
Work your SCHEDULE to your advantage…when you are working at a gym or fitness center, you typically get free perks like a FREE MEMBERSHIP. Each week that you are scheduling your clients be sure to write in your own time for your workouts and training.
DAILY “Personal” WORKOUTS…dont skip them! Just as you hold your own clients and students accountable for showing up, you must walk the walk, when you talk the talk. All of those programs you write out for your clients, keep them in a notebook and do them yourself. Another resource I have found to help me is having access to live streaming workouts such as Beachbody On Demand. Calendars are loaded up so I can reference them easily and if I run out of time, the workouts have a timer and I can go back in later in day to complete from where I left off. If you havent checked out BOD, click HERE and Click on SIGN ME up for FREE CLUB and you’ll get a 30-day trial, its just $2.99 a week to have access to this incredible library of workouts at your fingertips.
Nutrition and Not Skipping Meals…having a busy lifestyle means you are burning a lot of calories daily, make sure you are keeping your energy up by eating 5-6 meals a day. Meal planning is essential for fueling your body and keeping your energy up. Your “weekend” prep days may actually fall on a Monday or Tuesday so use those days to cut up veggies, cook your chicken and get organized. Having a few staples on hand with you in your gym back will save you time and money. My top go-to snacks are ALMONDS, KIND or LARA Bars, JAR of SeaSalt Peanuts, Single Serve packets of NUT BUTTER, green APPLES (bananas get smooshed easily and ripen faster).
Find a Fitness Community…surrounding yourself with people who share your same passions is so important. Your neighbor or that mom who gives your kid a ride to/from school that you talk to everyday, unless they are joining you in training for that upcoming Ultra or Ironman then even if they support you they cannot really understand your challenges. Having a community that you can post your daily wins and get feedback on what you next step should be or what is working to increase speed for that upcoming race can be so helpful. I like to join as many running groups, organizations and clubs that I can. Some are beyond me where people are pushing to do 100 mile races or a full ironman. Im not there yet, but having that peek into what goes into their training gives me an idea of what it would take for me to commit to doing an event of that magnitude. I love to dream big. At the same time, its a big confidence builder when in a C25k group I can inspire and help others get from the couch to finishing their first 5k race strong.
Self Care: Choose Activities that renew YOU and nurture your body and soul… start with what you enjoy doing when you are resting, what do you tell your clients to do if they are experiencing muscle soreness–ice pack, epsom salt bath, foam rolling, active rest activities. Take your own advice. Some other ways to renew: spend time with friends, get a mani/pedi, go out for a slow run, be a student in another persons class, take a training. Whatever revives you to help you feel more CONFIDENT.
FINAL THOUGHTS… To help others you must know how to HELP yourself first and be the best version of you possible. Write it down. Create a vision board. List certifications or workshops you want to attend and books you want to read. Let your passion and love of your craft drive you to become the EXPERT in whatever you do.
Tis the Season and just look at the SALES for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday from Team Beachbody–they have launched LIVE today, 11/21/16.
htp://www.beachbodycoach.com/jennvoss then click shop and on the left you will see holiday specials. Or you can click here to get straight to it!
If you have any questions on any of these programs you can email me firstname.lastname@example.org with HOLIDAY SALE in the subject line. I have most of these programs and can help you choose which one will help you best in reaching YOUR health and fitness goals.
Happy Shopping–if you are interested in any items, order right away because many will sell out before end of day.
Wahoo! I love inspiring people who are passionate about fitness to go to the next level. In fact, I was super excited to learn that Zumba recently launched a new mentoring program that I plan to participate in: ZIN MENTORING PROGRAM. If you have the personality, the passion and the desire to teach fitness then I say go for it! As the fitness industry continues to evolve, opportunities for instructors have never been greater. With so much variety in the field, no two interview experiences are the same. Keep in mind that most companies require a verbal interview and a live audition.
The scary image (and I say that lovingly because I have always been a die-hard American Idol fan) that comes to mind when we hear the word AUDITION these days is the one &only Simon Cowell. Am I right or am I RIGHT?!
The following tips can help you prepare for your interview and make a great first impression and GET HIRED:
- SMILE. Yes, from the first moment you talk to someone to meeting them in person I say be happy! Leave what happened this morning behind you or even what happened at the last audition if you are doing multiple auditions. Be happy, grateful and personal. Make a lasting FIRST IMPRESSION, strong handshake and be people friendly.
- BE PREPARED. Do you have a certification? Do you have your CPR/AED card? Know ahead what credentials they require and bring them to the audition with you. If you do not have them, some gyms will give you up to 6 months to get what you need to teach at their facility. What skills should you present in the audition? Will there be live participants in the audition? What kind of sound system does the club have? What equipment will be available? Stop by the facility in advance if possible, to be sure you know where you’re going and to scope out the audition space. Research the organization’s website and social media to get a feel for the culture and mission.
- DRESS FOR SUCCESS. ou want your appearance to convey that you’re neat and professional. Wear modest clothing that keeps you appropriately covered during all movement. Make sure your hair is away from your face and you are able to focus on your teaching skills rather than your outfit–make eye contact when possible when you are auditioning. Each organization has its own unique culture, but professional and conservative attire is always a safe bet.
- BRING IT. When it is time to Audition, take the floor and OWN IT!! Show your Passion for teaching in every step that you take! KNOW your material and practice ahead of time. Show your Confidence, Musicality, Cueing Skills, Energy & Enthusiasm, Knowledge on Form/Technique and Modifications to name a few. You will have less than 5 minutes to put it all together…do your BEST, have FUN and be YOU x 10!! Recognize that there are areas that you may need to work on, be OPEN to feedback and let the GX Director know you are willing to LEARN & TRAIN with them to get better…that goes a long way!
- INTERVIEW THEM. Prepare questions in advance to show the interviewer you’re serious about the job, and to determine if the organization is a good fit for you. Is there financial assistance or incentives for continuing education? Do you need to carry professional liability insurance? Preparation is the difference between a mediocre and extraordinary interview. Each interview is an opportunity to explore the field and learn about your own wants and needs so you can find that perfect fit.
Overall, just enjoy your experience and be flexible with whatever options are offered to you. Not everyone lands that dream time slot or perfect day of the week that they want to teach. Maybe you even just start out as a sub, but go in with the attitude of “how can I help” and show some flexibility and willingness to learn you will be building relationships within the fitness community and your reputation as a trusted instructor who is willing to do what it takes to improve and do their best.
Good luck! Do not hesitate to reach out to me and let me know how your auditions go and if there is any way I can help!
First of all, Mondays are terrific for starting FRESH. Here’s the trick though, its easy to get stuck in a yo-yo dieting nightmare if you are restarting EVERY Monday. Nonetheless, Summertime is great time to be with friends and family, concerts and celebrations but come Monday after the weekend Im not sure about you but my midsection feels a little fluffier than usual. I woke up feeling this way today after spending 2 days with my parents in michigan. I mean who can resist a home made breakfast prepared by your mom? So here’s a couple of tips for you to get back on track today and a special invitation to join my next fitness challenge.
Three Quick Fixes to Reducing bloat:
1. Drink more water and AVOID carbonated drinks. The fizz in carbonated drinks (even diet ones) can cause gas to get trapped in your belly.
2. Eat smaller meals more often. Instead of eating 3 big meals a day, try eating smaller amounts/meals more often. This can keep you free of the bloated feeling that often follows large meals. Eating more frequently can also help contron blood sugar and manage hunger.
3. Don’t eat too fast. Eating quickly and not chewing your food well can causer air swallowing that leads to bloating. So slow down and ENJOY your food. Your meals should last at least 30 minutes, for snacks I’d aim for 10-15minutes. Keep in mind that digestion begins in the mouth and you can decrease bloating just by simply chewing your food more!
WHAT I am doing TODAY and invite you to take a look at trying it for yourself! I am doing a 3 day shakeology cleanse. When I first became a beachbody coach I would do this and last year Team Beachbody released their own “cleanse” called the 3 Day Refresh which I have also done in the past. Why am I doing the shakeology cleanse? Both programs have given me weightloss and de-bloating results. DISCLAIMER: I have heard from customers who say doing either of these programs actually makes them bloat up so be forewarned that everyone’s body and chemistry is different. For anyone interested in trying this on their own with their own protein shakes, I’m happy to share the eating plan which you will repeat all THREE days.
Breakfast: Shakeology w/ice & water, 1/2 cup fruit
Snack: 1 fruit
Lunch: Shakeology w/ ice & water, 1 cup green tea
Snack: Shakeology w/ice & water
Dinner: Lean 6oz protein (fish, chicken) over 2 cups of greens. 2 tbs dressing is allowed.
If you want it more regimented, then you can go to my website and order the Refresh Kit (retails $70) and if you want to learn how to save 10% off your order then message me at Jenn Voss Fitness or email me at Beachbody Coach Jenn.
To change your body, to reach new fitness goals you must always be seeking new ways to challenge yourself. One of the best reasons to be active in the beachbody community is to always be inspired to be doing more to improve your own health and fitness. Whenever you need to feel your best, I highly recommend trying the tips above or investing in doing a cleanse/ refresh!