Tag Archives: fitnessjourney
A side effect to losing weight for us ladies is also losing a little of that va va va voom in our chest area. For some, this is a welcome relief and for others its an eye opener that we really cannot choose to “spot reduce” when we are losing weight and inches.
Welcome to the new and improved you and I vividly remember my own realization that I was not as voluptuous as I once was but I also weighed out the benefits and realized that yes, I can still be sexy with a smaller chest. Here are 10 REAL benefits and reasons to SMILE about the new you!
1) Less bouncing and better support. Anyone who has exercised with a large chest knows the pull an pain you feel when you are working out. For me personally I think this is why for so many years I was NOT a runner.
2) You can wear something Low-Cut and not feel scandalous! Strapless or low cut is something that you can sport almost anywhere/anytime and feel confident.
3) Reduces stress on your shoulders and osteoporosis. Little do we consider that a pair of Dcups can weigh between 15 to 23 pounds!
4) No busting out of a button down shirt: yep, no more reason to safety pin those shirts so there’s not a gap!
Setting NEW GOALS–Let’s DO IT! Welcome to a FRESH, NEW Month, 30 days for you to fill in with daily, weekly and end of month goals! I love this image from Lorna Jane Active & their Motto MOVE – NOURISH -BELIEVE, it really helps put me in the right mindset of Goal Setting because sometimes it’s hard to know how to get from where we are to where we want to be. If I am drawing blank I think about how my goals can fit into these three areas and the tips above!
First of the Month and you begin reflecting on what you accomplished the month before, do not discount even the smallest moves forward towards bigger goals! Write these in your journal or on your calendar for THIS month. These will help guide you towards setting your NEW Goals! Next up start making the list using the cues from above.
1) Fail to prepare, prepare to fail. A few Goals that you can add this month to help you succeed: Prepare your workouts, your calendar, alarms, prep grocery lists, clean out your pantry of processed/unhealthy foods, restock your gym bag, find and clean containers/bottles for packing healthy meals, simply put when setting goals write out exactly what tools you will need to meet them.
2) Track your Progress! Take your measurements, photos, weigh in and set new goals based on where you are and where you want to be. Decide how often you will track yourself this month so you can stay on track, will you do weekly weigh ins or only weigh in last day of the month?
3) Do it for YOU and don’t seek Approval. You take your own responsibility for your fitness journey, do not wait for others to give you permission to start. I think of this as I do with running, I train with a group but on race day I run my OWN race at my OWN pace and no one else is going to carry me across that finish line but ME.
4) If you Slip Up, Don’t Worry Just Keep Going! We are all human and so don’t beat yourself up if in your master plan a day doesn’t go accordingly accept it and move forward. Identifying where you may have challenges ahead may help you cope. Say you have a special event on a weekend this month, prepare for that and in knowing yourself and willpower make a plan to either do an extra workout before or after the event if you think you will over indulge in eating. Or you are going out of town, either pack a fitness DVD or plan to use a gym at the hotel. Even if you forget your gym attire, try to get up before your morning meeting/event and go for a walk!
5) Have a Workout Buddy. Accountability is key, find a girlfriend who is ENCOURAGING or plug into a fitness group either online or at your gym to help keep you on track. Posting to social media daily is a huge boost because you are putting it out there and yes there are people watching you! More than that, you need to have that friend/coach/trainer who knows what you are doing who will NOTICE and CHECK IN with you daily no matter what and you can be that person for them too, a real WIN-WIN.
6) Eat Clean, Whole & Fresh Foods! Goals for eating clean start here. What is one healthy change you can make this month? Maybe you want to do something more drastic, join a 5 day eating plan or 21 day detox. Set the date to start, get what you need ready at least 2 days earlier and commit to it. It does not need to be that extreme though, you may want to start by doing one of these: reduce your carbs, cut out dairy, remove red meat from your diet, no eating after 8pm, stock your fridge, eat more veggies, have a meatless meal 1-2x a week or what about using a smaller plate for meals!
7) Get Plenty of Rest. How many hours of sleep do you need? Generally, most can remain alert and be as active as they want when they get anywhere from 6-8hrs of sleep. Depending on the intensity of your workouts and number of days you are exercising, you may require more. Be diligent on this one, our bodies repair and re-energize while sleeping!
8) Reward Yourself! (not with food) What kind of incentive will you give yourself to get up at 5am every day? Have you ever tried a fitness jar—how it works is every day that you workout or stay on track you reward yourself with 1 dollar in the jar. At the end of the month if you received your goal then you can take that $$ and make plans to reward yourself with something that will show off your hard work or help you in reaching for that next fitness goal. Some ideas that I like to do: make a date for a massage/treatment to help soothe aching muscles or get a mani/pedi, sign up for a 5k or race, get new workout wear, new shoes, enroll in a new fitness class at the gym, sign up for a cooking class or maybe even treating yourself to a shopping spree at your favorite high end grocery to add healthy options to your meals ahead.
9) Surround Yourself with Positive People! This step is a tough one because we all have those friends that cannot seem to see the silver lining or even set small goals to improve themselves and drag down others in the process. It may be time as you begin your positive journey to remove or reduce contact with these people. Begin to create an “inner circle” of friends who share similar goals as you or who are at least being a cheerleader in your court. You will know them when you find them because they will be there giving you high fives and helping you believe that you can do it, even when you may doubt it yourself!
10) Talk to yourself like you would a FRIEND. I have a rule in my house, there are certain words that we do not say to each other and I”ll share them here with you. Stupid, Ignorant, Jerk, Idiot, Fool, Nerd. Remember to look in mirror and imagine you were saying these words out loud to your best friend. I guarantee you that you will be kinder, and gentler to yourself before the month is over! <3
Great! I hope this has helped you make a long list, now you just need to prioritize and get to work! I’d love to hear from you what your goals are this month, remember Aim High and Dream Big!
You’ve Got This —- Jenn