Tag Archives: motivation
Wahoo! I love inspiring people who are passionate about fitness to go to the next level. In fact, I was super excited to learn that Zumba recently launched a new mentoring program that I plan to participate in: ZIN MENTORING PROGRAM. If you have the personality, the passion and the desire to teach fitness then I say go for it! As the fitness industry continues to evolve, opportunities for instructors have never been greater. With so much variety in the field, no two interview experiences are the same. Keep in mind that most companies require a verbal interview and a live audition.
The scary image (and I say that lovingly because I have always been a die-hard American Idol fan) that comes to mind when we hear the word AUDITION these days is the one &only Simon Cowell. Am I right or am I RIGHT?!
The following tips can help you prepare for your interview and make a great first impression and GET HIRED:
- SMILE. Yes, from the first moment you talk to someone to meeting them in person I say be happy! Leave what happened this morning behind you or even what happened at the last audition if you are doing multiple auditions. Be happy, grateful and personal. Make a lasting FIRST IMPRESSION, strong handshake and be people friendly.
- BE PREPARED. Do you have a certification? Do you have your CPR/AED card? Know ahead what credentials they require and bring them to the audition with you. If you do not have them, some gyms will give you up to 6 months to get what you need to teach at their facility. What skills should you present in the audition? Will there be live participants in the audition? What kind of sound system does the club have? What equipment will be available? Stop by the facility in advance if possible, to be sure you know where you’re going and to scope out the audition space. Research the organization’s website and social media to get a feel for the culture and mission.
- DRESS FOR SUCCESS. ou want your appearance to convey that you’re neat and professional. Wear modest clothing that keeps you appropriately covered during all movement. Make sure your hair is away from your face and you are able to focus on your teaching skills rather than your outfit–make eye contact when possible when you are auditioning. Each organization has its own unique culture, but professional and conservative attire is always a safe bet.
- BRING IT. When it is time to Audition, take the floor and OWN IT!! Show your Passion for teaching in every step that you take! KNOW your material and practice ahead of time. Show your Confidence, Musicality, Cueing Skills, Energy & Enthusiasm, Knowledge on Form/Technique and Modifications to name a few. You will have less than 5 minutes to put it all together…do your BEST, have FUN and be YOU x 10!! Recognize that there are areas that you may need to work on, be OPEN to feedback and let the GX Director know you are willing to LEARN & TRAIN with them to get better…that goes a long way!
- INTERVIEW THEM. Prepare questions in advance to show the interviewer you’re serious about the job, and to determine if the organization is a good fit for you. Is there financial assistance or incentives for continuing education? Do you need to carry professional liability insurance? Preparation is the difference between a mediocre and extraordinary interview. Each interview is an opportunity to explore the field and learn about your own wants and needs so you can find that perfect fit.
Overall, just enjoy your experience and be flexible with whatever options are offered to you. Not everyone lands that dream time slot or perfect day of the week that they want to teach. Maybe you even just start out as a sub, but go in with the attitude of “how can I help” and show some flexibility and willingness to learn you will be building relationships within the fitness community and your reputation as a trusted instructor who is willing to do what it takes to improve and do their best.
Good luck! Do not hesitate to reach out to me and let me know how your auditions go and if there is any way I can help!
STAY POSITIVE! What is the alternative—basically there is NO ALTERNATIVE when you want to live your best life.
Who wakes up and says I’m hoping to get nothing accomplished today, there is nothing that can make this day better. Wait. I hear some of you saying, well yeah what about rest days, sick days or vacation? The goal is to just OWN TODAY whatever that intention you set for it. So today I wanted to share some positive affirmations that I believe everyone should say out loud EVERY DAY.
- I am feeling healthy and strong today.
- I have the courage to make this a GREAT day.
- My body is getting stronger and improving every day.
- Everything works out for the highest good.
- I will make a positive difference for someone today.
- Everything I need comes to me at the right time.
- My work has meaning and purpose.
- I am grateful, I enjoy every moment of the day.
- My friendships are filled with love and joy.
- I am in charge of my emotions, my desires, my abilities and I only focus on success.
Try reading these 10 affirmations ALOUD when you first wake up in the morning. If you can, find a quiet space where you can sit and focus on you—no phone, no notifications, no distractions. Go ahead and try it for a 7-10 days and see how you are feeling at the end of the week. I bet that you will have a spring in your step, smile more and others around you will notice and their moods/productivity will improve too!
If you like this, be sure to sign up for my newsletter, it comes out monthly on the 1st of the month. I will be sharing more affirmations and there will be a 30 day challenge invite for you to participate in as well as tips on setting up a GROWTH PLAN. FITADDICTIVE Newsletter: http://bit.ly/JENNVnewsletter Stay tuned for more posts and information on how to improve your self esteem and invest in YOU in the month ahead!
Good Morning! Did you get up and get your workout in yet? Well, if you are looking for some changes by summer I suggest you take a look at joining the 2016 Bikini Series with ToneItUp! I discovered Karina and Katrina back in 2011 when I started my journey to become a personal trainer. I made the decision that January that I would train myself to get ME into the best shape of my life. I looked in the mirror and even though I was teaching so many fitness classes, I was not really exercising for me. I was bouncing around from one class to another, not paying attention to what I was eating and just following my schedule—not adding in any cross training or new workouts.
Being a part of this series is fun because you get to meet other women who are striving to improve their health and fitness, feel more comfortable in their skin and yes after what everyone ultimately wants…to look good naked! Hahaha…yes, I said it and its so true! To participate its free, but they also have an amazing nutrition plan if you are completely lost because as you may or may not realize when you begin to add more activity to your routine, you will need to be dialing in your nutrition to really see the results for all that sweat time you are logging. Once you join, you are a lifetime member and get all the updates, special emails/coaching from Karina and Katrina and so much more.
Here’s your workout moves for today straight from Tone It Up—which you can find tons of videos on their youtube channel for free or purchase their DVD workouts from their website as well, I own the beachbabe 1 and 2 series and they just released a new video for this year’s bikini series which is getting rave reviews from the TIUteam members. Here’s the video for the inspiration for today’s BONUS workout: https://www.facebook.com/ToneItUp/videos/10153876217574801/
Here’s my breakdown of the moves in this short video…Do each one 15x, then repeat the set 3x. There is a free printable of their orignial workout, plus video here at Full Body Workout.
Single Leg “running arms” deadlift, booty kick
OH Press with Knee Extension
Run/Sprint in place (60 seconds)
3 point Deadlift
Plank with weights–open to side plank (L/R)
Plank with Weights—tricep Extension (L/R)
abs: straight arm OH extension with bent knees out/in
Boxer Shuffle and punches R/L (60 seconds)
Get some sweat on today and sculpt and tone it up for summer!
Calling all runners! If you haven’t participated in a run streak before, now is the time to jump on board! Im excited to join Runners World movement to do a Run Streak from Thanksgiving to New Years. All you have to do is lace up and run 1 mile or more daily and check in—there will be thousands participating and what better motivation than knowing that you have a few hundred friends stepping up with you.
If you want to hook up with me and get daily motivation, coaching for running, hear tips from some experienced runners and basically connect with others who love running as much as you—–check out my event page on my facebook fitness page & Click this Image to join my Holiday #RWStreak Running Group!
Still unshore if you should participate? Here are a few questions to ask yourself before you decide. Of course, I will say this is for everyone and anyone of all levels, from beginner to athlete.
1. Do you own a pair of running shoes? 2. Power walk, Jog or Run can you cover the distance of a mille? 3. Do you enjoy being active? 3. Do you feel motivated when challenged? 5. Do you plan to eat cookies, fudge or other sweets during the holidays? 6. Do you feel less stressed after exercising? 7. Have you been wanting to begin a C25k program? 8. Training for a spring race? 9. Do you struggle with getting your workouts in during the week? 10. Every mile you run, you can justify that holiday cocktail you will enjoy at dinner that night.
If you answered YES to more than 1/2 of these questions, then sign up immediately. If you answered yes to only a couple, I’d still sign up and just do your best.
Great! Then I’ll see you all bright eyed and laced up for the 2015 edition of #rwrunstreak starting on Thursday, 11/26! Feel free to provide your own “rum” if you take your running outdoors, lol!