Wahoo! I love inspiring people who are passionate about fitness to go to the next level. In fact, I was super excited to learn that Zumba recently launched a new mentoring program that I plan to participate in: ZIN MENTORING PROGRAM. If you have the personality, the passion and the desire to teach fitness then I say go for it! As the fitness industry continues to evolve, opportunities for instructors have never been greater. With so much variety in the field, no two interview experiences are the same. Keep in mind that most companies require a verbal interview and a live audition.
The scary image (and I say that lovingly because I have always been a die-hard American Idol fan) that comes to mind when we hear the word AUDITION these days is the one &only Simon Cowell. Am I right or am I RIGHT?!
The following tips can help you prepare for your interview and make a great first impression and GET HIRED:
- SMILE. Yes, from the first moment you talk to someone to meeting them in person I say be happy! Leave what happened this morning behind you or even what happened at the last audition if you are doing multiple auditions. Be happy, grateful and personal. Make a lasting FIRST IMPRESSION, strong handshake and be people friendly.
- BE PREPARED. Do you have a certification? Do you have your CPR/AED card? Know ahead what credentials they require and bring them to the audition with you. If you do not have them, some gyms will give you up to 6 months to get what you need to teach at their facility. What skills should you present in the audition? Will there be live participants in the audition? What kind of sound system does the club have? What equipment will be available? Stop by the facility in advance if possible, to be sure you know where you’re going and to scope out the audition space. Research the organization’s website and social media to get a feel for the culture and mission.
- DRESS FOR SUCCESS. ou want your appearance to convey that you’re neat and professional. Wear modest clothing that keeps you appropriately covered during all movement. Make sure your hair is away from your face and you are able to focus on your teaching skills rather than your outfit–make eye contact when possible when you are auditioning. Each organization has its own unique culture, but professional and conservative attire is always a safe bet.
- BRING IT. When it is time to Audition, take the floor and OWN IT!! Show your Passion for teaching in every step that you take! KNOW your material and practice ahead of time. Show your Confidence, Musicality, Cueing Skills, Energy & Enthusiasm, Knowledge on Form/Technique and Modifications to name a few. You will have less than 5 minutes to put it all together…do your BEST, have FUN and be YOU x 10!! Recognize that there are areas that you may need to work on, be OPEN to feedback and let the GX Director know you are willing to LEARN & TRAIN with them to get better…that goes a long way!
- INTERVIEW THEM. Prepare questions in advance to show the interviewer you’re serious about the job, and to determine if the organization is a good fit for you. Is there financial assistance or incentives for continuing education? Do you need to carry professional liability insurance? Preparation is the difference between a mediocre and extraordinary interview. Each interview is an opportunity to explore the field and learn about your own wants and needs so you can find that perfect fit.
Overall, just enjoy your experience and be flexible with whatever options are offered to you. Not everyone lands that dream time slot or perfect day of the week that they want to teach. Maybe you even just start out as a sub, but go in with the attitude of “how can I help” and show some flexibility and willingness to learn you will be building relationships within the fitness community and your reputation as a trusted instructor who is willing to do what it takes to improve and do their best.
Good luck! Do not hesitate to reach out to me and let me know how your auditions go and if there is any way I can help!
First of all, Mondays are terrific for starting FRESH. Here’s the trick though, its easy to get stuck in a yo-yo dieting nightmare if you are restarting EVERY Monday. Nonetheless, Summertime is great time to be with friends and family, concerts and celebrations but come Monday after the weekend Im not sure about you but my midsection feels a little fluffier than usual. I woke up feeling this way today after spending 2 days with my parents in michigan. I mean who can resist a home made breakfast prepared by your mom? So here’s a couple of tips for you to get back on track today and a special invitation to join my next fitness challenge.
Three Quick Fixes to Reducing bloat:
1. Drink more water and AVOID carbonated drinks. The fizz in carbonated drinks (even diet ones) can cause gas to get trapped in your belly.
2. Eat smaller meals more often. Instead of eating 3 big meals a day, try eating smaller amounts/meals more often. This can keep you free of the bloated feeling that often follows large meals. Eating more frequently can also help contron blood sugar and manage hunger.
3. Don’t eat too fast. Eating quickly and not chewing your food well can causer air swallowing that leads to bloating. So slow down and ENJOY your food. Your meals should last at least 30 minutes, for snacks I’d aim for 10-15minutes. Keep in mind that digestion begins in the mouth and you can decrease bloating just by simply chewing your food more!
WHAT I am doing TODAY and invite you to take a look at trying it for yourself! I am doing a 3 day shakeology cleanse. When I first became a beachbody coach I would do this and last year Team Beachbody released their own “cleanse” called the 3 Day Refresh which I have also done in the past. Why am I doing the shakeology cleanse? Both programs have given me weightloss and de-bloating results. DISCLAIMER: I have heard from customers who say doing either of these programs actually makes them bloat up so be forewarned that everyone’s body and chemistry is different. For anyone interested in trying this on their own with their own protein shakes, I’m happy to share the eating plan which you will repeat all THREE days.
Breakfast: Shakeology w/ice & water, 1/2 cup fruit
Snack: 1 fruit
Lunch: Shakeology w/ ice & water, 1 cup green tea
Snack: Shakeology w/ice & water
Dinner: Lean 6oz protein (fish, chicken) over 2 cups of greens. 2 tbs dressing is allowed.
If you want it more regimented, then you can go to my website and order the Refresh Kit (retails $70) and if you want to learn how to save 10% off your order then message me at Jenn Voss Fitness or email me at Beachbody Coach Jenn.
To change your body, to reach new fitness goals you must always be seeking new ways to challenge yourself. One of the best reasons to be active in the beachbody community is to always be inspired to be doing more to improve your own health and fitness. Whenever you need to feel your best, I highly recommend trying the tips above or investing in doing a cleanse/ refresh!
Monday are great days to set new goals and NEW intentions. Here are 3 tips to use for trying a new class and making your workouts fun! I shared my own experiences in using each of these tips, I’d love to hear if these helped you today!!
1) Just Give it a TRY. Trying new classes or formats can be intimidating, even if you are a regular group fitness class junkie. Sometimes we put off trying something because of perceptions that we are not at a level high enough to do well, for fear of failure or even social status only triathletes do those classes or that workout will be hard on my knees. In MY EXPERIENCE…I hear about new classes or I’m invited to a jam session, zumbathon, its all good things! For me my excuse was that classes didn’t fit in my busy schedule. It’s about making that time for yourself friends! It’s about getting off your butt and making it THERE and then be ready to give it your best. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!
2) Focus on your RESULTS. We all want to improve, be better than we were yesterday, last week or last year even. It’s easy to fall into same routine of workouts and your body gets in a rhythm. Daily habits and rituals are great, dont get me wrong! It’s up to us to challenge ourselves and our bodies to move in new ways. You will be surprised by the results and how you feel by adding in a workout that you normally do not do. MY EXPERIENCE….I am a cardio junkie! Yep I do zumba 2-4x a week and running floods my body full of endorphins and feel good vibes. I find that I need to make the extra EFFORT to schedule in strength and flexibility workouts or they just don’t happen. If possible you can look for what is commonly called FUSION classes or classes like Yoga Sculpt which promise to deliver more than 1 format in ONE workout.
3) Buddy Up! Call up a girlfriend and make it a date, or if you’re out with friends have them pull out their calendar and right there pull up the schedule of that kickboxing class down the street (thank you technology and smart phones!) and set a day/time to get together to attend a class. The other way I get friends to meet me is I post on social media the day and class I want to attend and see if anyone else is available– so try tweeting it or sharing it on facebook. When you have something planned with a friend, you are less likely to skip that workout! MY EXPERIENCE….hanging out with friends post run or workouts we like to chit chat about our week ahead and what we will be doing for fitness. For instance, one week post-run a friend handed me a FREE 2 week pass to core power yoga studio and begged me to attend the 9am yoga sculpt class with her that day. It was something I had wanted to try so I jumped and said I’d make it happen. Went home, made kiddos breakfast. Rinsed off from my run, grabbed a mat, water bottle and towel and made it to that session on time!
So today, drop your excuses and this month make a conscious effort to get out there and try a new class, take your bike on a new trail or lace up and run a trail instead of the track.
Keep pushing your body, you may surprise yourself and find that you can do much more than you think you can!
I believe in you!
STAY POSITIVE! What is the alternative—basically there is NO ALTERNATIVE when you want to live your best life.
Who wakes up and says I’m hoping to get nothing accomplished today, there is nothing that can make this day better. Wait. I hear some of you saying, well yeah what about rest days, sick days or vacation? The goal is to just OWN TODAY whatever that intention you set for it. So today I wanted to share some positive affirmations that I believe everyone should say out loud EVERY DAY.
- I am feeling healthy and strong today.
- I have the courage to make this a GREAT day.
- My body is getting stronger and improving every day.
- Everything works out for the highest good.
- I will make a positive difference for someone today.
- Everything I need comes to me at the right time.
- My work has meaning and purpose.
- I am grateful, I enjoy every moment of the day.
- My friendships are filled with love and joy.
- I am in charge of my emotions, my desires, my abilities and I only focus on success.
Try reading these 10 affirmations ALOUD when you first wake up in the morning. If you can, find a quiet space where you can sit and focus on you—no phone, no notifications, no distractions. Go ahead and try it for a 7-10 days and see how you are feeling at the end of the week. I bet that you will have a spring in your step, smile more and others around you will notice and their moods/productivity will improve too!
If you like this, be sure to sign up for my newsletter, it comes out monthly on the 1st of the month. I will be sharing more affirmations and there will be a 30 day challenge invite for you to participate in as well as tips on setting up a GROWTH PLAN. FITADDICTIVE Newsletter: http://bit.ly/JENNVnewsletter Stay tuned for more posts and information on how to improve your self esteem and invest in YOU in the month ahead!
Every Monday feels like a FRESH START!
Heres my Top 5 Tips for Starting your week STRONG!
- Set alarm early. No alarm, plan B is to schedule a lunch or evening workout. Give yourself a #noexcuses goal that you’ll get it done. I tend to set alarms in my phone like appointments.
- Set out your clothes, find your favorite workout wear. Oops, morning is here and you didn’t set out your clothes. The basics you need for the gym: sports bra, underwear, shorts or capris, tshirt or tank, socks, shoes, hair brush & ties. Even in the dark, I can find my workout clothes. I keep them all on the same shelf in my dresser.
- Fuel Up! Start your day with healthy food and you’ll make smarter choices the all day long. Stick to real food, avoid processed foods (basically anything in a box, bag or wrapper)
- Put on some music that gets you wanting to move! I keep a playlist of favorite songs in my phone so I always have them with me. If you don’t have one, just put on our favorite radio station and play it loud!
- Social media for inspiration! Even when you think you don’t have time to workout..you can do workouts anywhere/anytime. Check out Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and you can find short workouts like tabata or search hashtags for all sorts of exercises to work the body parts you want to shape up! For me, my saving grace that I cannot live without Beachbody ON DEMAND streaming workouts. As long as I have internet access, I can pick up right where I left off with my workouts. Want a free trial? Check out this link for free membership w/me and then click on 30day FREE Club membership: http://bit.ly/CoachJenn
So let’s get the week started– whether you have a plan or not, make this the week you begin getting in the best shape of your life!